Due to the continuous expansion in technological inventions and innovations, the Bachelor of Technology course has been the most preferred career option by students since its inception. The wing of Engineering is extensively expanding as the global-technical spectrum is broadening with new inventions on everyday basis. The availability of abundant job opportunities, B.Tech courses are the most promising course chosen by the students of Science stream. Not only government institutes, Undergraduate courses in Engineering are offered by highly recognized private universities in the long run. As per the availability of the structured seats and their reach, students pursue their degrees from private colleges.
The engineering courses are constituted with highly productive pedagogies and abundant opportunities for practical exposure to provide future-ready individuals in technical industry.
B.Tech Courses offered by Indian Universities/Institutes
- Tech Aeronautical Engineering
- Tech Aerospace Engineering
- Tech Automobile Engineering
- Tech. in Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology
- Tech Bioinformatics Engineering
- Tech. in Electrical Engineering
- Tech. in Chemical Engineering
- Tech. in Civil Engineering
- Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering
- Tech. in Mechanical Engineering
Top Colleges/Universities for B.Tech in India
- Indian Institute of Technology: The most eminent and recognized institutes in India offering high functional technical education.
- National Institute of Technology: With highly progressive approaches in technical education, the NITs are preparing efficient engineers of future.
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani: Located in Pilani and widely known as BITS Pilani, this institute is known for its substantial entrance examination and peculiar curriculum.
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi: Located in the capital of India, DTU is the top notch university delivering contemporary methodologies based technical curriculum.
- Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi: Known for its authenticity and extravagance, Jamia Milia Islamia is one of the premier universities in Delhi imparting qualitative and quantitative education to the students.
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh: AMU is known for its discipline and ideologies. This Muslim centric university provides various reservations to Muslim candidates and prepares them for strong industry interface.
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra: Founded in 1955, BIT Mesra is a deemed university offering higher education in Engineering.
Around 23 IITs and 31 NITs in India are run by central government for fulfillment of the award of four-year full-time undergraduate degree offered in 8 semesters. Both IITs and NITs work under the supervision of the President of India. Various private universities and institutes also offer this course as it is the most preferred course among the students with Science and Mathematics domain. The institutes and universities make sure that all the students receive state-of-the-art facilities with eminent pedagogy and practical training experiences during their course span, promising them for quality placements and extensive career opportunities.
Eligibility criterion for admission in B.Tech course
- Education Qualification: Students who have passed 10+2 examination from central board or state board with 60% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are eligible to take admission in B.Tech course to pursue their career in Engineering.
- Age: Various universities and institutes are strictly following the age qualifications of the students where the applicants should meet the prescribed age limit of the same.
- Nationality: In colleges and universities, all Indian students follow the general application process whereas International students are given specialized conveniences for their registration for admissions in B.Tech.
Entrance examinations for Admission in B.Tech
Engineering is the most demanding course of today’s time where students strive to get the best of everything. Various coaching institutes guide the students in a way to crack the national and state level entrance examinations to get the best government institutes. The curriculum of coaching centers is strictly designed by considering the difficulty level of the All-India entrance examinations. Various national and state level entrance examinations are considered for the admissions in eminent engineering institutes and to match the standard, the private institutes set their question papers as per the eminent examination.
- JEE Main: Conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), the Joint Entrance Examination Main is conducted to screen the proficient students for the admissions in UG Engineering programmes. This offline test was held on 2nd April, 2017 whereas the online test took place on 8th and 9th April, 2017 for which the results were declared on 27th April, 2017. It is an eligibility test for JEE ADVANCED. The top 2,20,000 candidates of JEE Main are eligible to sit for JEE ADVANCED exam. To take admissions in IITs and NITs, the students should have scored 75% of marks in their 12th Board examination.
Rank and cutoff – The Joint Admission Board (JAB) declares the ranks of JEE Mains exam. The ranks are announced on All India Rank basis. The cutoff lists are announced by CBSE with the minimum qualification ranks for the students to be eligible for JEE ADVANCED exam.
- JEE ADVANCED: The Joint Entrance Examination Advanced is the yearly examination conducted by IITs to refine the quality students who want to pursue their career in Engineering and Architecture. The exams were held on 21st May, 2017 in two stages. On 11th June, IIT Madras has declared the results for JEE ADVANCED, which commenced the allotment of seats of the students in IITs, NITs and other institutes.
Rank and cutoff – The ranks of the students for JEE ADVANCED are decided as per their combined marks in 1st and 2nd papers, respectively. The rank lists were declared with the results of JEE ADVANCED.
- BITSAT: Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission Test is conducted every year for the admissions in UG courses of Engineering. In 2017, BITSAT was conducted from 16th to 30th May. The entrance is conducted for the admissions in the integrated undergraduate engineering programmes in the campuses of Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad. The students compete for over 2000 seats in BITS.
Rank and cutoff – The national/state topper students can apply directly for admissions through Direct Admissions for Board exam Toppers whereas a minimum rank is listed in the cut off lists for the admissions.
- AMUEEE: Aligarh Muslim University Engineering Entrance Exam is an yearly entrance exam for the admissions in undergraduate engineering programmes. All the students should fulfill the eligibility criteria like, academic qualification, number of attempts, age limit, etc.
Rank and cutoff – The admissions of the students in undergraduate engineering programmes are based on their scores in AMUEEE and Interview.
- DTU ADMISSIONS: The admissions in Delhi Technical University takes place through the screening of the students with relation to their ranks in JEE exams. The students compete for 1145 seats to take admissions in engineering courses where 5% seats are reserved for General category and 52.5% for OBC, SC, ST and PWD categories, respectively.
Other institutes organize their own entrance examinations where the technical knowledge, aptitude, reasoning skills, equation solving, general knowledge and English skills of the applicants are diagnosed. With the results of the entrance examinations, the students secure the seats in their choicest colleges/universities. These national level entrance examinations are held once in every year for the admissions of the students.
Direct admission in B.Tech
Some top-notch private and deemed universities/colleges provide the meritorious students with a lineage of direct admission in UG engineering courses. The students who have performed excellently in their 10+2 examinations are provided with good scholarships to pursue the engineering undergraduate course of their choice. Apart from this, the applicants with their reservation quota in subsequent areas confirm their admission in prestigious institutes. The seats are reserved for the students belonging to SC/ST and Muslim categories, respectively.
Both the process demands great zeal, compassion and dedication from the students as the technocrats of today’s world are highly motivated and well qualified. The demand of individuals in the field of Engineering is increasing as various companies are setting up in India and require the assistance of world-class technocrats for continuous development of the companies. Students who aim to become future engineers start the preparation of entrance exams from 11th standard and crack the exams with hard work.
So, to take admission in any college/university of reputation, prestige and recognition, students should prepare thoroughly for the entrance examinations, interviews, group discussions and other procedures involved in admission processes.