Topic We Cover: University vs College vs Institute
1. University: An Introduction
2. Institute: An Introduction
3. College: An Introduction
4. Differences Between Universities and Institutes
5. Difference Between College and University
6. Comparison Chart
7. Key Differences Between College and University
8. Top Universities in the India
9. End of Discussion
You hear so many times during the period of your studies these three words – University vs College vs Institute, but do you really know the actual difference between the three i.e. University vs College vs Institute. Well! Mostly people got confused between these three words University vs College vs Institute to end your confusion we are here with this article to introduce you well with University vs College vs Institute. First, let’s start with the introduction of all the three seperately, so that you will get more clearity about the topic.
University: An Introduction
Among University vs College vs Institute, University is a governing body who administers or control all the activities and curriculum of colleges which comes under or controlled by that university. In India, there are numerous universities and under each university there are large number of colleges. A university comprises many colleges and many departments. Among University vs College vs Institute, university provides education in different disciplines, along with this they also provides specialization. Let’s make it more clear for you, one university offers various courses like BA, B Com and B Sc all these courses are under graduate courses and all are of three totally different disciplines.
As you can see Bachelor of Arts i.e. BA is a course under discipline of arts or humanities, B. Com. (Bachelor of Commerce) is for commerce and B. Sc. Stands for Bachelor of Science is a degree course comes under the Science discipline. The most remarkable thing about the university is that, university always provide degree courses to their students, but now these days, there are some universities that also provide short term diploma and certificate courses.
In comparison with University vs College vs Institute, Universities also provide distance learning programs, under this there is a flexibility for students to attend or not to attend classes which occur once or twice in a week only on weekends. That could be on Saturday or on Sunday or on both the days Saturday and Sunday. In India, Universities are recognized or controlled by UGC (University Grants Commission).
Institute: An Introduction
Among the three University vs College vs Institute, an institute is an autonomous or we can say independent body which provides education mainly in one discipline only, but now-a-days there are several institutes in India which are providing courses in more than one discipline and along with this institutes are also provide distance learning program or regular learning. Not only this, they also provide flexibility in timings of classes as per the convenience of the student.
In comparison with University vs College vs Institute, Institutes are actually those autonomous bodies which provide diploma programs in majority and degree programs in minority, to provide degree programs they have to get affiliation from any recognized university. There are too many institutes in India, the actual motive of such institutes is to produce professionals who can acclimate the professional conditions very quickly and work according to the demand of market and its conditions. In India, all Institutes are recognized and approved by AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education).
College: An Introduction
Among University vs College vs Institute, a college is like a smaller institution that typically offers undergraduate degrees. There are some colleges that only offer only two-year degrees such as community colleges and junior colleges. Most of the colleges offer bachelor’s degrees, and some colleges also have associate degrees.
If you are willing to learn more about the difference between a University vs College vs Institute, then continue with this article, I’m sure there are so many things which perhaps you want to know about University vs College vs Institute.
Differences Between Universities and Institutes
First of all, we will describe you some main differences between universities and institutes out of University vs College vs Institute, we look after those differences now.
- In comparison with University vs College vs Institute, University is an administrative body which is liable for all the activities happens in the colleges which comes under its belt while institute has its own authority as it is an independent body. Moreover there could be group of institutions, situated at different location or places but all share same name.
- Among University vs College vs Institute, universities provide degree courses to their students while on the other side institutes offer diploma or certificate courses.
- In India universities are controlled or recognized by UGC whileAICTE control the institutes of India.
- Among University vs College vs Institute, In universities, the curriculum of course has been revised in 3 to 5 years at least incase of requirement while on other hand institutes revise their curriculum every year and make changes according to the need.
- Out of three University vs College vs Institute, Universities emphasis on theoretical knowledge while institutes emphasis on practical and applied knowledge more.
- Among University vs College vs Institute, most of the universities of India provides research programs while the institutes in India can not provide these research programs, but sometimes in few cases institutes also provide research programs but in such situations they have collaboration with any research center or organization.
Difference Between College and University
In comparison with University vs College vs Institute, here we discuss about the key difference between College vs university. After completing the schooling, students get confused about their admission for higher education ae difference between nd at this time they surrounded by so many questions and like other questions they also think that what is the difference between University vs College vs Institute.
Well! Here we will describe you, What is the difference between college and university? Hope it will be helpful for you to decide better option for you.
Among University vs College vs Institute, college is an educational institution where students are provided with various degree and diploma courses for further studies. On the other hand, the University is different, it has a wider scope than a college. It is a ceter of higher education which confers research programs along with a degree and diploma courses to its learners.
Not only their is a difference in the name of college and university but also the difference between the two resides in their meanings and the most importantly they also differ from region to region. The countries like Canada, UK, Japan, USA, India, China etc differentiate between college and university out of University vs College vs Institute in a variety of ways. So after an in-depth research on these two terms, we have presented some important differences between the two, so have a look.
Get Updated Review ( Voice Based Alumni Feeback)
Check Review (Alumni Feedback) - BML Munjal University – Click Here
Check Review (Alumni Feedback) - Amity University – Click Here
Check Review (Alumni Feedback) - Bennet University – Click Here
Check Review (Alumni Feedback) - SRM University Sonipat – Click Here
Check Review (Alumni Feedback) - Ansal University – Click Here
BASIS FOR COMPARISON
It is an educational institution which provide diploma and degree courses to its students.
It is an authorized educational and research institution that grants degree and diploma to its students, in the respective fields.
Not offered by college.
Offered by the university.
Number of courses offered
Dean or Director
They are either an autonomous body or affiliated to a university.
They do not require any affiliation from another university, they are recognized by UGC.
Number of Enrolled students
There is limited seats that’s why the offered seats are less.
No. Of students are higher in comparison with colleges.
Among University vs College vs Institute, college has been derived from the Roman word “Collegium” the meaning of which is some people residing combinedly under a identical set of rules for a same purpose. Most of the countries referred colleges as ‘secondary school’. There are three types of degree offered by colleges which are associate, bachelor or master, and diploma of graduate and post graduate level.
In comparison with University vs College vs Institute, university provide the degree name associate, bachelor, master and doctorate while diplomas are offered by university are at graduate and post graduate level.
Among University vs College vs Institute, University has a huge campus, where residing various departments like Science, Arts and Commerce, Geology, Management, etc. are located. The universities are segregated into the following categories, according to their formation:
- Central University
- State University
- Private University
- Deemed University
Key Differences Between College and University
Let’s have a look to the major differences between college and university out of University vs College vs Institute are as follows:
- Among University vs College vs Institute, college is a learning institution which offers degree and diploma courses to its students. A University provide degree and diplomas to its students. It is actually a research centre and offers higher education.
- In comparison with University vs College vs Institute, the scope of a college is limited as compared to a university because there are many colleges affiliated to a single university.
- Out of University vs College vs Institute, college does not offer research program to its students, but, the University offers the same.
- In comparison with University vs College vs Institute, colleges are either affiliated to a university, or they are an autonomous body. On the other hand, Universities don’t need any affiliation from another university.
- The College offers courses, only in specific areas. On the other hand, the University offers a blend of courses and programs which are not limited to a specific area.
- The chief of a college is known as a Dean or Director while the chief of the University is known as Vice-Chancellor.
- Among University vs College vs Institute, the college has a limited number of seats and that is the reason, there are less number of students enrolled as compared to a university.
- The university has a giant campus because it is built in a huge area, whereas college is not having such large campus.
1) Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
2) Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
3) Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi
4) Anna University, Chennai
5) University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
6) Jadavpur University, Kolkata
7) University of Delhi, Delhi
8) Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
9) Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
10) Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
11) Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
12) Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
13) Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
14) Calcutta University, Kolkata
15) King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
16) Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
17) Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
18) University of Madras, Chennai
19) Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
20) Panjab University, Chandigarh
21) Bharath Institute of Higher Education & Research, Chennai
22) Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
23) Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
24) Siksha `O` Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
25) Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
1) Miranda House, Delhi University
2) St, Stephens, Delhi University
3) Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli
4) Hindu College, Delhi
5) Presidency College, Chennai
6) Loyola College, Chennai
7) Shri Ram College for Commerce, Delhi
8) Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
9) Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira, Howrah
10) Madras Christian College, Chennai
1) Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
2) Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
3) Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
4) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
5) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
6) Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
7) Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
8) Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
9) Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi
10) Anna University, Chennai
End of Discussion
The universities, colleges, and institutes all of them providing education but the only difference is that basic difference is that universities provide depth knowledge while institutes provide applied knowledge, but the motive of all the three University vs College vs Institute is same.
The current scenario of India is very competitive and ambitious so, every one is willing to work in the improvisation of his/her living standard and status, so if you are belongs to the same condition then you have to catch applied knowledge so, that you can get good job very quickly and start earning very early and you will get this in institutes.
But still there are so many peoples who want to learn new things, explore themselves and wants to add any new thing to the current pool of knowledge, this kind of people require in depth knowledge, so if you know someone who have this kind of motive than go for research programs that you can get from university. But in this field you have to struggle too much and in terms of money this field lag behind but once you succeed thereafter you have the opportunity to earn a very huge amount of money. So, think wisely and choose wisely, best of luck!