Common Admission Test (CAT) is a computer basednational-level standardized test jointly conducted by IIMs in technical support of TCS (Tata Consultancy Services). Indian Institute of Management started CAT examination annually with the purpose of admission to post-graduate management programs like MBA in various colleges and universities of India in 1950. Before May 1, 2009, CAT was a paper based exam conducted on a single day for all students.
The test is divided in to different section under which a candidate is evaluated - Quantitative Ability (QA), Verbal Ability (VA) and Reading Comprehension (RC), Data Interpretation (DI) and Logical Reasoning (LR).
- Bachelor’s Degree with at last 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (In case of SC, ST, and PWD/DA category 45%)
- Final year under-graduated student/equivalent qualification also eligible for CAT 2016.
2016 CAT Application Date and procedure
- CAT 2016 online registration starts on August 8, 2016 10.00 AM till September 22, 2016 5.00 PM.
- You can fill form online and make payment through Credit and Debit card or net banking.
- Candidates need to follow three step registration process on the official website (www.iimcat.ac.in) Registration, log in and application form filling.
- Candidates can choose four test cities of their choice and on the basis of that they will be given centers after the last date of registration.
- CAT admit card 2016 will be sent through the official website, that can you can download online after the official issued date till the date of the examination.
CAT Application form fees
- Registration fees for General and NC-OBC candidates INR 1600/-
- Registration fees for SC/ST/PWD candidates INR 800/-
Courses offered under CAT 2016
|Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VRC) Section I||34||60|
|Data Interpretation and Logical reasoning (DILR) Section II||32||60|
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)Section III||34||60|
Duration of CAT 2016 examination is 2 hours and 50 minutes through online mode only with 3 marks for each questions. There is negative marking for each wrong number of 1 mark.
- Get accustomed with the CAT Pattern and Syllabus.
- Know your strengths and weakness so that you can work on your weakness.
- With the help of experts or coaching institute choose a right study material.
- Take mock test as many as possible as it is said that practice makes you perfect.
- Time management plays a crucial part try to learn how to manage time.
- Clear your basics first - Get a good grip on the basics of all section.
- Develop a habit to read novels, newspapers, journals and essays as it enhances your vocabulary, general knowledge, reading speed and also is a good source of entertainment and stress relieving.
- Practice shortcuts to save time during examination.
- Take out some time for yourself to freshen up your mood.
- And last but not least, keep calm do not get nervous under any circumstances.
2016 CAT Results and shortlisting
- Tentative CAT 2016 result date 2nd week of January, 2017 on official website iimcat.ac.in
- Shortlisted candidates list for next level selection will be available on respective IIMs website.
- After selection each IIM will directly send interview letters to the candidates.
- Admission will be based on personal CAT 2016 score, group discussion, written ability test, personal interview including academic background.
Expected CAT 2016 examination centers
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands - Port Blair
- Andhra Pradesh - Kurnool, Nellore, Tirupati, Vijayawada,Visakhapatnam
- Arunachal Pradesh - Itanagar
- Assam - Guwahati
- Bihar - Gaya, Muzaffarpur, Patna
- Chandigarh - Chandigarh
- Chattisgarh - Bhilai, Raipur
- Delhi - New Delhi
- Goa - Madagaon
- Gujarat - Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara
- Haryana - Faridabad, Gurgaon, Palwal, Rohtak
- Himachal Pradesh - Solan
- Jammu & Kashmir - Jammu
- Jharkhand - Jamshedpur, Ranchi
- Karnataka - Bengaluru, Belgaum, Mangalore, Mysore, Shimoga, Udupi
- Kerala - Kochi, Kasaragod, Kozhikode, Malappuram, Thrissur, Thiruvananthapuram
- Madhya Pradesh - Bhopal, Gwalior, Indore, Jabalpur, Sagar
- Maharashtra - Ahmednagar, Amravati, Aurangabad, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Solapur
- Meghalaya - Shillong
- Odisha - Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Sambalpur
- Puducherry - Puducherry
- Punjab - Fatehgarh Sahib, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Mohali, Patiala, Ropar, Sangrur
- Rajasthan - Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Udaipur
- Tamil Nadu - Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Namakkal, Tiruchirappalli, Tirunelvelli
- Telangana - Hyderabad, Karim Nagar, Khammam
- Uttar Pradesh - Agra, Allahabad, Ghaziabad, Gorakhpur, Greater Noida, Kanpur, Lucknow, Meerut, Varanasi
- Uttarakhand - Dehradun, Roorkee
- West Bengal - Durgapur, Hooghly, Howrah, Kolkata, Siliguri
Checklist for the CAT 2016
- Carry all the required documents during the examination admit card, original and valid identification, SC/ST and DA.
- Get detailed information of the examination center location.
- Get updates of the traffic and travel time before starting to travel.
- Arrive at-least one and half hour prior scheduled examination time.
Important date and news for CAT exam 2016
- CAT 2016 will be conducted by Indian Institute of Management Bangalore on December 4.
- CAT 2016 result date is expected to be declared in 2nd week of January next year.
- Candidates need to attempt 100 questions in 180 minutes.
- CAT 2016 will be held on a single day in 2-sessions across 138 cities.
- Admit card issue date is October 18, 2016.