Get out there, the world is waiting
An act of pursuing educational opportunities in a foreign country is term as abroad study. Going to different country for studies can be more than just going to school, there are many things to learn and explore famous sites. But most of us get unsure in terms of choosing right university and course. Let us be the guide for you to facilitate the A to Z information.
Why to study abroad?
Study in abroad brings an incredible opportunity to experience a whole new environment, culture and gain knowledge. And of course if you love to travel and do not hesitate from exploring new things then this is for you that will give you broaden job opportunity and exposure to the world.
Tips/Checklist for abroad study
- Get in touch with existing or alumni abroad students for feedback and overall experience.
- Find a way to finance your trip â€“ scholarships and loan.
- Apply for passport and visa in advance as it can take anywhere from six to twelve months.
- Keep your travel documents handy - applied visa should at least cover entire study program.
- Medical certificate
- Health/travel insurance especially that covers overseas care, as there is no harm in being ready in case of emergency.
- Look out for local connection to have better knowledge about the abroad situation.
- Gather as much as possible information about the local social customs to blend in new environment.
- Don’t just sit back and study prepare a checklist and budget of what to see to make the most of the time.
- Open a bank account in foreign country for easy access to money contact student counsellor for detailed information.
- Keep emergency numbers (Police, Fire, Hospital, parents, embassy, etc.) handy and be aware of the laws of that particular country.
- Detail information about the embassy and counselors’ services are available for 24x7.
- Be open to adapt the new environment and people as well.
- Find a way to be in touch with your family and friends to save yourself from home away home situation.
Selection process for overseas education Eligibility criteria
While going for higher education in abroad, as a part of admission process you need to give one language and standardized exam. Language exam is must to check English proficiency skills to any university with English speaking country for almost all courses like - Undergraduate courses, Postgraduate courses, Certificates or Diplomas. Different countries have different preferences in language exam for international studies.TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is the preferred examination for study abroad in USA and Canada. Many colleges of UK do not accept TOEFL, instead IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the preferred test for study abroad in Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom. British universities give preferences to PTE (Pearson Test of English), CAE (Certificate in Advanced English) and CPE (Cambridge English: Proficiency).
Whereas standardized exam depends on the country, course and college you are aiming for. Below is the table for Standardized and language exam requirements as per the study abroad programs:
|Program||Standardized test||Language test as per country|
|Undergraduate||SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)/ACT (American College Testing)||
|MBA (Masters in Business Administration)||GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)/GRE (Graduate Record Examinations)||
|MS (Masters of Science)||GRE (Graduate Record Examinations)||
List of top 20 College/Universities in the World based on QS World University Rankings 2015-16
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||United States||Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Bachelors of Computer Science and Engineering, MBA|
|2||Harvard University||United States||MBA, Bachelors and Masters in Computer Science|
|3||University of Cambridge||United Kingdom||Master of Business Administration, BA (Hons) Computer Science, MPhil in Engineering for Sustainable Development|
|4||Stanford University||United States||Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Computer Science, MS in Electrical Engineering|
|5||California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||United States||MS in Civil Engineering, Bachelors in Computer Science, Masters of Science in Aeronautics|
|6||University of Oxford||United Kingdom||MBA, MSc in Computer Science, BA in Economics and Management|
|7||UCL (University College London)||United Kingdom||MSc Management, MSc Computer Science, MSc Mechanical Engineering|
|8||Imperial College London||United Kingdom||MBBS/BSc Medicine, MBA, MSc in Advanced Computing|
|9||ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology||Switzerland|
|10||University of Chicago||United States||MBA, Executive MBA, Master of Science Program in Computer Science|
|11||Princeton University||United States||Masters in Finance, M.Arch., Masters of Science in Engineering Computer Science|
|12||National University of Singapore (NUS)||Singapore||The NUS MBA, M.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering), Master of Science (Civil Engineering)|
|13||Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU)||Singapore||MBBS, MSc (Electronics), Bachelors of Engineering (Computer Engineering)|
|15||Yale University||United States||MBA, MS in Computer Science, Master of Laws|
|16||Johns Hopkins University||United States||B.S. in Computer Science, MS Electrical and Computer Engineering, MS in Finance|
|17||Cornell University||United States||MBA, M. Eng. in Engineering Management, M. Eng. In Computer Science|
|18||University of Pennsylvania||United States||MBA, MBA (Marketing), Master of Science in Engineering in Computer & Information Science (CIS/MSE)|
|19||King's College London||United Kingdom||Medicine MBBS, International Management MSc, Business Management BSc|
|20||The Australian National University||Australia||Master of Business Administration, Master of Computing, Master of Engineering in Mechatronics|
Study abroad scholarships
Study abroad scholarship is a financial award for a student to aid the expenses of their program like travel, course, credits, books and lodging based on various criteria. Scholarship is not given just for financial aid but is also an award for his/her past achievement. To avail a particular scholarship applicants need to qualify competitive examination or have to won it by academic or extracurricular activities.Below are the list of the types of study abroad scholarship:
- Merit baseIt is based on the academic, artistic, athletic, other extra-curricular activities and community service of the student.
- Student specificIt is a scholarship awarded initially on the basis of gender, race, religion, family, medical history or any other student specific need.
- DestinationspecificIt is an incentive given by a particular country to applicants.
- Program specificIt is offered by an individual study abroad programs/colleges/universities.
- Subject specificStudy abroad colleges give scholarship on the basis of the major or field of study of a student.