University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES) was established in 2003 through UPES Act, 2003 of the State Legislature of Uttarakhand. UPES emerged as an innovative institution industry-focused specialized graduate, post graduate and doctoral programs in key areas such as Energy, Transportation, Infrastructure, Information Technology and Legal Process.
- Only Asian University to receive the prestigious World Oil Award
- Only University to set up an Oil Rig on campus
- Only University to have a TATRA truck on campus
- First Indian Institution to offer 76 specialised programs across Oil & Gas, Power, Transportation, Infrastructure, and Logistics & Supply Chain sectors
- First Energy & Core Sector University in the Pan Asian region
- First Indian Energy University with energy programs accredited by the Energy Institute, UK
- First University in the world to offer co-branded B.Tech programs with industry giant IBM
- First Indian Energy Institution to set up an in-house Bio-Diesel Laboratory
- First Indian University to implement SAP for its operations rating
- Only University to have MIG23 on campus
- UPES has been granted membership of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), effective from November 2009.
- UPES is recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC) under Section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 and is the first university under Public-Private Partnership.
- UPES is recognized as a "Research Institution" by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR).
- UPES is a member of the International Association of Universities (IAU). This enables the university to participate in IAU Annual Conferences, Specialized Workshops, Seminars, the General Conferences, Experts Meetings and various other Events.
- UPES is an ISO compliant institutions since 2005 and is presently certified as an ISO 9001:2008 institution.
- UPES is also a member of the Commonwealth Universities Study Abroad Consortium (CUSAC), which is a group of universities formed around the Commonwealth who are committed to increasing internationalization at their institutions.
- UPES has earned status of ISO 14001:2004 Certified University to strengthen the commitment to identify and control the environmental aspects, their impact and to work constantly to improved environmental performance.
UPES has established academic alliances with more than 100 leading universities across the globe.UPES has embarked on a strategic partnership with Laureate International Universities which is the world’s largest private education network with presence in 30 countries throughout Europe, North America, Asia and Africa, South America, serving more than 800,000 students through 75 institutions.
Alumni: “Alumni Day” is held on the day UPES was born, the 2nd of September.
Conference & seminars:
- 1st Aerospace HR Round Table: The inaugural edition of the Aerospace HR Round Table conference took place on Saturday, the February 22, 2014 at the prestigious Leela Palace Hotel at Bengaluru on the theme “Challenges & Opportunities for Talent Management in Aerospace Industry”.
- Innovate India 2014' hosted by UPES: UPES hosted 'Innovate India 2014’ on Campus in association with Uttarakhand State Council of Science and Technology (UCOST), Dehradun. The “Innovate India – 2014”, an annual event organized by the National Research and Development Council (NRDC), New Delhi and supported by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and Ministry of Science and Technology (MST), Govt. of India.
- International Conference on Management of Infrastructure (ICMI) 14th February 2014: International Conference on Management of Infrastructure (ICMI) received a tremendous response.
UURJA: It is the annual cultural youth festival of UPES, the event is full of vigor and energy of faculty, students, participating from various universities and colleges across India and sponsors from various national and local level organizations. It is an interactive ground for dynamic youth from various universities and colleges across the country.
- UPES IGNITE: It is a blend of legal, technical and management events. This is entirely student driven co-curricular event that provides multi-facet platforms to present and explore their talent across various levels and segments.
- Annual fest: The UPES SPE Fest is one of the biggest fests organized by Society of Petrolium Engineers Students Chapter in India and across the world. Recently held on 6th-9th Feb 2014, this four day fest provided a plethora of technical events from primary fields of petroleum technology on Campus. Techno-carnival saw participation from 240 national and 14 international participants.
- National Law Day Celebration: It is the day when Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, was celebrated in the College of Legal Studies (COLS),(UPES) with the fervor as in previous years.
- GEMS INSTRUBLITZ:GEMS team of UPES organized an instrumental competition- ‘GEMS INSTRU-BLITZ’ for the students on campus. Students enthralled the audience by playing wonderful tunes on Guitar (Acoustic & electric), Tabla and Keyboard.
- Kalakriti: “Kalakriti”- Your strokes, their smiles event was organized by UPES GOOGLE HUB. It focused on a creative way of spreading awareness about Google and its products with the fun of chart painting competition.
- Team Astra: The Astra”, a team consisting of six students pursuing Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering from UPES. The team is the first from India to take part in the Experimental Sounding Rocket Competition, an international collegiate event organised by Experimental Sounding Rocket Association (ESRA) in partnership with top aerospace companies like Lockheed Martin, NASA, ESA dated 20-23 June, 2013.
Clubs & PEPs
- UPES MUN
- The SAE Collegiate Club - undergraduate and post-graduate students of Mechanical Engineering, including Automotive and Aerospace sectors.
- The team Sky Hawks from SAE Collegiate Club represented UPES in SAE Aero Design West, held in California, USA.
- The Logistikas Club - for and by MBA Logistics & Supply Chain Management students
- The Adventure Club - enabling students to take more initiatives and pioneer research and development in the economic sphere.
- SPACE CLUB of Aerospace Department
1. Scholarship will be offered to students securing an aggregate of 85% marks in class XII & 90% marks in PCM for B. Tech. (All Streams) in CBSE or ICSE Examination Board passing out in 2014. Such Scholarships will be limited to 5% of seats in B. Tech. Program.
2. Scholarships will be given on the basis of Merit only.
3. Continuation of Scholarship in the subsequent year will be as per the University policy.
UPES-Dehradun | University of Petroleum and Energy Studies [UPES]- Detailed Reviews & Critic Rating
College Infrastructure and Facility
Bank & ATM
The university has two state of art auditorium with all facilities.
UPES has state of art class rooms with multimedia enabled & internet facility. Classrooms are equipped with Wi-Fi connectivity, multimedia tools, projectors, wireless microphones.
· UPES has state-of-the-art IT infrastructure, with computing labs and CAD labs. UPES Advance Computing Centre has network of more than 9000 computers.
The Library at Bidholi Campus has a sprawling space of about 22465 sq. ft, School of Law (SOL) Library of about 5000 sq. ft. and School of Business (SOB) of about 6500 sq. ft, with central air-conditioning with huge collection in different sections.
University provides separate hostel facility for boys and girls with a capacity of more than 2000 students. Rooms are available on sharing basis as well.
UPES has male/female doctor facility within the campus for general. For emergency cases UPES has ambulance facility.
The cafeteria having Exotic atmosphere spacious, clean & hygienic sitting area.
The university also has a guesthouse in the Dehradun town.
It has sports facilities on campus for Cricket, Volleyball, Handball, Basketball.
UPES has been consistently ranked as Best B School in significant B-School Rankings. Currently UPES has been ranked:
- Awarded 'Best Academic-Industry Interface' by DNA (a leading Indian media house) in 2018
- Awarded ‘Best Industry-Academia Interface’ at the 12th World Education Summit by Digital Learning & Elets Technomedia Pvt Ltd in 2018
- Awarded ‘University with Best Industry Academic Partnership’ by India Today TV-Higher Education Excellence Awards 2018
- Awarded ‘India’s Best University for Innovation and Value based Education’ by the Corporate Council for Leadership & Awareness (CCLA)
- Awarded Best University for Placements and Employability’ by Times Now- National Education Excellence Award 2018
- UPES Ranked amongst top 30 world’s best universities for oil, gas and petroleum engineering by CEO World Magazine (USA) in 2017
- Awarded ‘Best Training Institute Award’ for the Port and Shipping Management program at International SHIPTEK conference held in Dubai in 2016
- UPES felicitated by the Times of India at the Educator Award function.
- UPES Awarded under the category "Best Managed University" by Competition Success Review (CSR).
- UPES Awarded at World Education Submit 2013.
- Awarded Best Innovative University Award by Hon'ble Minister of Human Resources Development, Mr. M. M. Pallam Raju at the ASSOCHAM Education Excellence Awards in New Delhi.
- GRIHA (National Green Building Rating System) four star rating awarded to UPES Campus by Honorable President of India, Shri. Pranab Mukherjee at a function in Vigyan Bhawan.
- Dr. S J Chopra, Chancellor, UPES is the recipient of the prestigious Petrotech Lifetime Achievement Award attributed for his contribution to the growth of Petroleum industry in India.
- Awarded at the 11th Annual World Oil Awards 2012 by World Oil Magazine and sponsored by Gulf Publishing Company at Houston, Texas USA.
- Awarded by INDY's Group of Stars of the Industry Group at the 6th Indy's Award Ceremony under the category of Indy's Best B-School Awards in Mumbai.
- UPES Awarded The "Best Global Education / Training Provider 2008" by Getenergy, UK
- Best Innovative University Award 2013-Presented At Assocham Education Excellence Award
- Best Managed University Award 2013-Presented By Competition Success Review
- B-school with innovation leadership award 2010-Awarded by b-school affairs at suntech,singapore under the category of Asia’s best B school awards
- Outstanding Petroleum University awarded at the 11th Annual World Oil Awards 2012 by World Oil Magazine and sponsored by Gulf Publishing Company at Houston, Texas USA
- B-School with Excellent Industry Interface 2010 by B-School Affairs at Suntech, Singapore under the category of Asia's Best B-School Awards
- Best B-School with Excellent Industry Interface 2009 at Dainik Bhaskar B-School Leadership Awards.