One of the best Creative and Media jobs
If you are a person with excellent communication skills, loves to interact with lots of interesting people and have the capability to mold the psyche of someone in your favor then Public Relations is the field in which you can excel. Public Relations is defined as the practice of managing the spread of information between an individual or an organization and the public. But do not get confused it with Advertising and marketing, it is very much different from it as it may include an organization or individual gaining exposure to their audiences using public interest and news related topics that do not require direct payment. The aim is to inform customers, prospective customers, investors, partners, employees, and other stakeholders and ultimately persuade them to maintain a certain view about the organization, its leadership, products, or political decisions. Public Relations professionals generally work for PR and marketing firms, businesses and companies, government, government agencies, nongovernmental organizations, and nonprofit organizations as Public Information officer, account coordinator, account executive, account supervisor, media relations manager, etc. Public Relations Officials responsibilities include designing communications campaigns, writing news releases and other content for news, working with the press, arranging interviews for company spokespeople, writing speeches for company leaders, acting as a spokesperson for an organization, preparing clients for press conferences, media interviews and speeches, writing website and social media content, managing company reputation (crisis management), managing internal communications, and marketing activities like brand awareness and event.
Educational Qualification in Public Relations sector:
- At least a Bachelor degree in Public Relations/Journalism/Mass Communications/English.
Activities done for Public Relations:
- Press conferences
- Media relations
- Philanthropic activities
- Corporate social responsibility initiative
- Special events, etc.
Tools of interactive Public Relations Specialist:
- Search engines
- Social media marketing
- Web 2.0 technologies
- Developing blogs
- Online press releases
Scope of Public Relations in modern days
In a current scenario, all industries are in need of candidates with communication skills as these professionals are responsible for creating and maintaining a positive image of the company, internal communication of employees, the general public, and government authorities. Many organizations are understanding the need of cost-effective communications plans for their growth. With growing adoption of social media, many agencies are investing in creative and digital arms for fast and effective communication. It is also a window of an organization through which management can monitor external as well as internal changes. We cannot neglect the importance of PR in modern days as it has a huge impact. PR plays a crucial role in influencing public opinion, analyzing public opinion, formulation of future policies, satisfaction, and fairness among people. The scope of Public Relations is wide as entrepreneurs, teachers, social workers, religions, leaders and even political leaders are involved and in need of it.
Jobs prospects of Public Relations:
- Communications Officer
- Communications Specialist
- Fund-raising Consultant
- Information Officer
- literary Agent
- Media Coordinator
- Media Planner
- Media Relations Officer
- Museum Educator
- Performers Agent
- Press Secretary
- Public Affairs Officer
- Public Relations Consultant
- Public Relations Officer
- Publicity Agent, etc.
Top PR companies in India:
- Perfect Relations: It is an image management and communication firm born and brought up in South Asia that was started by two veterans of journalism in India Dilip Cherian and Bobby Kewalramani in October 1992.
- Text 100: It is a global integrated communications consultancy that plots various route for their clients to connect people with brands by challenging convention and exploring possibility since 1981.
- Genesis Burson-Marstellar: Under the leadership of Prema Sagar, Genesis Burson-Marsteller was founded in 1953. It is a leading public relation and public affairs firm that deliver integrated communications services to some of the best global and Indian companies.
- Ad Factors:It the largest PR firm in India that was founded in 1997 and serve over 300 retained clients across 40 Indian cities. It is the 1st Indian firm to have won global recognitions for their campaigns.
- Waggener Edstrom: WE (Waggener Edstrom Communications) is a Seattle-based public relations firm often associated with its largest client, Microsoft that was founded in 1983.
Top PR companies around the world:
- Edelman: It is an American Public Relations firm founded by Daniel J. Edelman in 1952.
- Weber Shandwick: It is a Public Relations firm formed in 2001 by merging of the Weber Group, Shandwick International, and BSMG.
- FleishmanHillard: It is a private public relations and marketing agency founded by Alfred Fleishman and Robert E. Hillard in 1946 and based in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Ketchum: It is an American worldwide Public Relations firm founded by George Ketchum in 1919 that offers marketing, branding, and corporate communications services.
- MSLGroup: It is the 4th largest PR conglomerate in the world that was founded in 1938 in Paris. It offers public relations, financial communications, experiential marketing, live event management, healthcare communications, public affairs, reputation management and social media marketing services to the clients.