How to manage time between your assignments, exams and college fun?
Time management can be a common problem and one of the important tasks in the life of any student as the ability to prioritize is the key to maintaining a harmonious and balanced lifestyle. Time management is defined as the act or process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity. Time management helps you to calm that chaotic schedule for a stress-free college degree. The importance of time management is increasing especially for students who at this age juggle between different priorities of life such as study, work, and family. Good time management brings plentiful benefits that will make things easier for you. College life is like juggling many balls at a time and trying not to drop any of the balls, so ReviewAdda.com has arranged some tips for managing your overcrowded schedule:
- Prioritize and organize: Make a list of task to do and prioritize accordingly. So that while completing a not so important task you miss out an important task.
- Plan ahead: Planning ahead in life is one of the most important tasks to do so that you can meet all your deadlines related to your assignments, test, etc.
- Make a checklist: Preparing a checklist helps you to remember everything that needs to be done. Writing down all of your tasks not only helps you to see how much work is left but also eliminate the possibility of forgetting some of your tasks. We all know that our mind cannot remember everything every time, therefore, preparing a checklist is a good habit and a great help, especially during hectic examination season.
- Be healthy: It is one of the common advice that you have heard many times from your mother, teacher, and other elders, but it actually can play a huge role in achieving your target as well as managing time for other activities of the college. Regular exercise can help you to stay fit as well as keeps you energized and fresh to study. Few healthy habits like getting adequate sleep at night (at least 7-8 hours), wearing proper warm clothes in winter, routine checkup, etc. can not only help you to stay healthy and fit but also increase your alertness and decrease your stress level. Between study try to stretch and take short breaks to clear your mind as it helps in reducing stress level.
- Know about yourself and body: We have heard saying many students that they prefer studying early in the morning and some say that they prefer night. It is very important for you as well to know which time is the best for you from which you can do your best. If you think that you feel more relaxed and study with concentration during night time then you should prioritize your tasks accordingly and schedule your study time.
- Take notes during lectures: No matter how good your memory is it is good to write down all important points that your professor emphasizes on during the lecture. Pay attention to your lecturers during the class as it helps you understanding your assignments in much less time and examination.
- Do not leave anything for last minute: Start preparing for your examination and assignments as soon as possible. This not only leaves you with enough time for revision but also gives you more confidence during the examination. If you will be last minute junkie then this can impact your quality of the work and overall grade.
- Create a dedicated study time: These days it is quite difficult to stay away from gadgets like phone and laptop and social media, so, therefore, make your mind and set up a time devoted only to studying but nothing else. Shut your phone and stay away from the social media for that particular time so that you do not get diverted from your studies.
- Do not underestimate the power of short breaks: Keep a decent balance between your play time and study time as we all know that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Studying hard is good but do not forget to schedule a time to relax in small-small interval so that your body and mind can rejuvenate. Do not forget that your brain also needs rest to function properly, logically and smoothly.
- Do not be lazy or lethargic: Make sure you complete all the assignments on time and avoid piling up all the work for last minute as reading 2 pages daily in comparison to 500 pages in a day sounds like a big difficult task.
- Learn to say no: Saying no is sometimes difficult to do, especially when we have lots of time commitments. It surely teaches us how to juggle various engagements and manage our time, but sometimes you need to learn to decline opportunities simply by saying no and understanding the priorities of your life. You should focus on only those commitments that are truly going to benefit you.
- Utilize your extra free/waiting time: We all travel, wait, stand in a queue, etc. and you can utilize those time by reading lots of stuff, by revising your lessons and so on.
- Set a deadline: Instead of just sitting down to work on a project and thinking, set an approximate time limit to finish those work. As this time-limit will not only push you to focus and motivate you to finish the project on time but also will make you more efficient.
- Do not neglect the importance of buffer time between tasks: Take a short break, go for a short walk, do some mind-clearing exercise so that your mind can relax and reboot between two tasks. When you run from task to task, it becomes very difficult for your mind to stay focused and motivated.
- Be prepared and plan ahead for the unexpected: We all are aware of the fact that we cannot predict the future. So if you are thinking of postponing your assignments or preparation for examination then think twice because what if you catch the flu or get sick a day before your due date, then, in that case, how will fix it and prepare for the examination.
- Divide and rule: Divide and rule are one of the famous policy in politics that has worked most of the time. Divide your larger projects, study material into manageable chunks and spread them into stages over a reasonable number of days. This will not only lessen the burden of the maddening project but also will have fewer chances of crisis due to that project.
One last tip, focus on working smarter never run after and focus on getting things done. Your ultimate goal should be to arrange commitments in a way that you are happy living out the details of your daily life, even while you are working.