How to study for a Math test? Well! For Maths study is not a appropriate word, the word should be practice. When we are talking about maths, practice makes perfect. Mostly people study math by just memorizing formulas and equations but this is not the solution, you need to practice more and more for maths by solving problems.
You need to start studying early for get the solution of how to study for a math test, you need to do your homework, and in case of any help or guidance you can ask your teacher. Try not to take stress and make sure to get rest and eat well just before the test.
Math Test Study Plan
To know better how to study for a math test, you need to go through few things which will help you to study maths.
Step 1: Know your basic math facts! To understand your basic facts about maths you can opt internet games based on maths it will help you in practice your facts. There are so many maths games available on internet, these are the foundation of math and will continue to hold you back if you cannot answer each of them (0-10) in a split-second.
Step 2: View homework as a “study guide.” The homework which you get taken as a study guide for you, you can circle all the issues which you facing in solving problems and ask them next day in your class. Mark all the problems you do incorrect and note down them and learn how to do them correctly.
Step 3: Set a time limit for your maths practice: : Don’t spend more than 60 minutes on your math homework because after 60 minutes, your brain will have exhausted it’s capacity for learning anything new. So, if you have such problem then talks to your teacher.
Step 4: Follow the “3-2-1” days approach for how to study for a math test:
- 3 days before your test, Just 3 days before your test, try to do several practice problems; especially the problems you originally got wrong on your homework. (Time limit: 60 minutes.)
- 2 days before your test, review all the formulas and equations quickly. Do 10-15 practice problems; and do the problems which you got wrong on your homework. (Time limit: 50 minutes.)
- 1 day before your test, review vocabulary i.e. formulas and equations and do one problem from each night’s homework. (Time limit: 30 minutes.)
Step 5: Once you receive the test the first thing you do is to write down the formulas or definitions you had to memorize. It will help you to immediately free up some brain power for the rest of your test.
Step 6: Read the directions carefully.
Step 7: Write neatly. Keep your numbers in the correct place-value!
Step 8: When you stuck in any problem, then do as much as you can. Then, skip the problem and move on. Come back to it if you have time.
Step 9: After the test make sure to clear all your mistakes you made otherwise it will continue in the same way.
However, if you:
- Learn the facts of math,
- Take your maths homework as your “test practice”
- learn math vocabulary
- Read the directions mentioned on the test
Preparing for and taking math exams
Start early preparation – The first thing in the process of how to study for a math test is to start your maths preparation from a early stage i.e. be attentive during class because every minute you day dream in class is take you many more minutes back in study.
Do problems assigned to you for homework as math is a constructing process and the next step means you need to understand the present, and previous, ones
Simulate test conditions – Do practice under test conditions, solve unallotted homework problems and then check your efficiency, that you can able to finish them in the allotted time for the exam or not.
Know your professor – You can also study a copy of math exam of previous class or be in touch with someone who has already succeeded in the same class of same professor.
Form a study group of 3-4 dedicated students – Group study is always be a best way to discuss problems and to solve them. Create a group of 3-4 dedicated students thise help you or you can help them will help you to better learn the material. If in case you are unable to teach other student a topic clearly that means you are not good in that particular topic and you need more practice.
Read through the math exam
- Reading through the whole exam you can
- understand what is expected of you
- set up items on the test
- speed yourself.
- Read the instructions carefully
Cautiously read the instructions mentioned on the test paper and make sure that you are answering the appropriate question that is being asked!
Most of the time, students know how to solve a particular problem, but they make it wrong because of misread or misinterpret the question itself.
- Inspect that whatever you rewritten for the particular problem is correct
If you use a new sheet/ scratch piece of paper then make sure that you rewrite the problem accurately.
Start from the beginning do not skip any step.
- Write each and every step of the solution clearly
Be neat and tidy in writing your steps.
Keep checking and evaluating your solution.
If you write neatly then it will make your recheck work easier.
- Check your calculator entries too
Make sure that your calculator work is correct, check it immediately. Because may be in rush you will probably hit the wrong number.
- Don't Dilly Dally
If you get stuck on any problem then without wasting time just move on to the next question and come back to it later if you have some spare time left.
Once you finished your test, go through all your work and recheck it carefully.
How to Study for a Math Test
Mathematics is one of those subject that every student has to study at one time or another. It is loved by some but honestly hated by many. Maths is one of the most important subject which is used in almost every profession somehow on a daily basis. The problem with many students is that they actually don’t know how to study for a math to get favorable results.
Maths is one of those subjects in which you can easily spend many hours in studying but at the end you will find nothing wiser. Doesn’t matter how much you have studied, but if you unable to solve the problem on day of the test, then you are lost. Here are some techniques for how to study for a math as given:
7 Tips for Maths Problem Solving
- Practice, Practice & More Practice
Math is not a subject of just reading and listening it is a subject which needs more and more practice. Math is the subject in which more you practice answering maths problems, the better you get the result. So, if you want to do your best in maths exam you need to practice a lot, and need to solve lots of mathematical problems.
- Review Errors
When you’re practising with maths problems it’s an advice to review your errors as well so that you won’t repeat it again during the time of main exam.
In this way you can understand how you reached the problem and where you went wrong is a great way of becoming stronger and avoiding the same mistakes in the future.
- Master the Key Concepts
Do not engage in just trying to memorise the processes of mathematical problems instead go for much better understanding process and logical. Well! This will prove to be helpful for you to understand how you should face such problems in the future.
- Understand your Doubts
Sometimes you can get stuck in trying to solve part of a maths problem and find it difficult to move on to the next stage. But don’t take stress it’s common for among many students, so skip such question and move on to the next, this is one of the best answer for how to study for a math test.
It is also a good idea to study with your friend with whom you can discuss and exchange ideas when trying to solve complex problems.
- Create a Distraction Free Study Environment
Mathematics is one of the subjects which require a lot of concentration in comparison to other. That’s why maths require a proper environment for study and a distraction free area could be the influential factor when solving a complex equations or complicated problems in algebra, geometry, or trigonometry!
Some students also find music as the supporting material which can help them to create a relaxing atmosphere and stimulate the flow of information.
- Create a Mathematical Dictionary
It’s an advice for all of you to create notes or Flashcards mention all the terminology, concepts, and definitions you need to know. You should also include their meanings, some key points and even some sample answers so you can consult them at any time and recap.
- Apply Maths to Real World Problems
Try to apply real-world problems when approaching maths. Maths can be very abstract sometimes so looking for a practical application can help change your perspective and assimilate ideas differently.
Oh and don’t forget that it’s also important to have confidence in yourself and face the exam knowing that you have prepared properly!
How to Study for a Math Exam
Method – 1: Preparing for the Test
1) Now we look for the best methods for how to study for a math test. The first way is to everyday after coming from the school look over your class notes for 15 to 20 minutes. As a test means of arriving, review your notes thoroughly. Give more attention to the example problems the teacher given in class, since these will help you to understand how a given procedure or formula works. In Case, if you don't have any class notes, ask your classmate for notes.
2) Try to do problems analogous to the problems assigned by your teacher for homework. For example your teacher assigned odd numbers for homework because the answers of even numbers’ problems are already mentioned in the back side of the book. Work on those even-numbered problems also and check the answers later and check your strengths and weaknesses are.
3) You can also join a study group for understand the better way for how to study for a math test. As different people have different concepts to see the problem in different ways. Something that you have difficulty to understand may your study partner has better ways to solve it. If everyone in the group is confused about something, then approach your teacher for help.
4) If you’re in any math study group, you can make and exchange practice tests for each other. Give yourself a span of time limit when taking a practice test to simulate the real thing.
5) A break is must after a few hours of study, so give yourself a treat or reward which help you to motivate. For example, you could go on a bike ride, you could listen good music, play a game for 20 minutes, or do another low-key activity.
6) Do proper rest and have a good healthy diet just before the exam. Don’t be stressed, get a good night’s sleep the night before the exam. If your exam is in the morning, have a full breakfast that morning and in case it is in later in the day, a good lunch.
Try having a light, healthy snack, like almonds. This will give your brain a little more fuel before the test.
Method – 2: Going to Your classes
1) Attend your class every day. Being regular in the class is essential for learning in a better way and to clear your concepts.
2) Pay attention when study in the class. Showing up to class is half the battle, so listen carefully in the class and pay attention to the material which taught there.
Prepare good notes. Jot down any example problems from the session/class which you found tough and need practice at home.
3) You can consult your teacher for any mathematical related problems you have facing before the exam. The teacher might not tell you exact situation of what is going to be on the exam, but they might give you guidance if you don't understand.
Practice or review all your notes every night and highlight any questions in which you find problem and ask it later to your teacher for further explanation.
4) Read the textbook including practice all the solved and unsolved questions. Memorize the formulas that will help you understand the lesson thoroughly.
Method – 3: Studying every day
1) Start studying as early as possible and on regular basis, so that it will help you reduce your cramming the night before will just overwhelm you. Regular study will give you to identify your weak spots and in such situation if necessary, get extra help.
2) Do your homework problems.
3) Get to know how a formula works.