Sathyabama University is a private university which was founded in 1987 by Jeppiaar Educational Trust and inaugurated by then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Janaki Ramachandran under section (3) of the UGC Act, 1956 (A Christian Minority Institution) which was formerly known as Sathyabama Engineering College.
- The Ministry of Human Resources Development stated the college as 'Deemed University' on 16 July 2001 and as a 'University' on 13 September 2006.
- Sathyabama University has been accredited by the NAAC with ‘A’ grade.
- It has received ISO 9001:2008 certification.
- The institution offers undergraduate courses and postgraduate courses.
- It vision is ‘to be an effective and competent source of technical manpower for the current and future industrial requirements’.
Infrastructure/Departments: The institution has a sprawling campus 350 acres. There are 12 faculties that are composed of departments.
Research: The University has more than 15 centers for research. Some of them are:
- Centre for Nano-Science and Nanotechnology
- Centre for Bio resource Research and Development(C-BIRD)
- Centre for Ocean Research Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Remote Sensing and Geo-informatics
- Centre for Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Centre for Climate Change Studies
- Centre for Water Research
Placement Records: 2013-2014 (As on 15.06.2014)
Total No of Students Registered for Placement
Total No of Students Got Placed
% of Students Placed
Cognizant, Infosys, Wipro, Capgemini, iGate, Scope Intl, Oracle, Sanmar, Virtusa and Cybage
Rs. 3.30,000 P.A
- NSS: This group consists of student volunteers who perform regular activities in the working days of the semester like awareness camps, teach others first aid, disaster management, public speaking. Students also take on special camping activities
- NCC: This is the only one technical NCC unit in India. The Cadets also attend National Technical Camp at INS SARKAR. They conduct social service activities like blood camps, literacy camps, anti-plastic campaign, eye donation camp, anti-dowry pledge, safe water campaign etc.
- Youth Red Cross: This group takes on social activities for the betterment of the society.
- Scouts and Guides: It is a voluntary, non-political, educational movement for young people, open to all without distinction of origin, race or creed. They perform activities for smooth functioning of the university.
- University Band: This group consists of music enthusiasts who perform at various events in the university.
Hostel – The University provides Brilliant Hostel Facilities.
- Spacious rooms with involved bath
- STD / ISD telephone
- Study room for students after college hours
- Generator for students
- Mineral water provided to all the rooms
- Open air theater - programs on every weekends
- Large mess with a capacity of 2000 and modern kitchen with steam cooking
- Well-equipped gym
Library – The University a central library with a total area of 25,000 sq. ft.
- At present, it has a total of 60,000 books.
- Number of journals subscribed to is 334 out of which, 177 are international journals.
- Subscribed to MALIBNET(Madras Library Network), IIT LIBRARY and British Council library
- It has an e-library as well.
- Title or subject heading and their availability is found out using the software LIBGENIE.
Internet – University has dedicated Internet Leased line of 15 Mbps, connected to more than Four hundred terminals throughout the Campus.
Other buildings – There are buildings to ensure smooth running of the University.
- A large guest house.
- 4 Open Air Theaters of 6500 sq. ft. each and 3 conference halls.
- Conference halls are for conducting guest lecturer’s symposiums, seminars, placement training programs, etc.
- Educational cassettes are also projected in these theatres in consultation with subject staff.
- Other facilities include placement cell, anti ragging committee, bank and ATM facility, post office, etc.
- FEMFEST: It is the main cultural event.
- UNIFEST: It is a cultural meet comprised of various competitions in the field of music, dance, drama, fine arts. There are twenty two events in this category.
- Ranked 5th among universities in Chennai.
- Sathyabama University has been ranked as the 86th best university in India by Outlook India.
- The University proposals more than Rs.27 Lacs for overall toppers and semester toppers as merit scholarship every semester.
- 50% fee concession is provided to economical class / socially backward sections and physically challenged persons.
- Fee concession is being given to students who participate in national or state level sporting proceedings.
College Infrastructure and Facility