Govt. Amar Singh College, Srinagar is one of the best Boys’ college in Sri Nagar. It was established in the year 1942. The college is affiliated to the University of Kashmir. The college approved with B++ by UGC since 1972. The college is located on Paradise on Earth Gogijabab, Kashmir
- The college is a Nodal College and has been declared as Lead College in 2012
- The college offers Undergraduate courses in Science, Arts, Commerce and Computer applications and Postgraduate in geography.
- The college also offers UGC sponsored add-on job -oriented courses have also been introduced in information technology, video editing, computer application and web designing
- The college has a study center of IGNOU offering a large number of courses leading to the award of degrees through distance mode of education
- The College has an area of 35 acres with a large heritage double floor building, six double storey buildings, more than ten single storey buildings, a large play field, a physical fitness centre, a spacious canteen, parking area, several lawns, separate area for volley ball, "Taseer Memorial Conference Hall" and "Bukhari Memorial Hall"
- College is having EDUSAT facility for outreach activity
- Dr. Krishan Kumar (Chief technologist, NASA)
- Mr. M. Iqbal Khanday (Chief Secretary, J&K Govt.)
- Mr. Sofi Gh. Rasool (Chief Information Commissioner, J&K Govt.)
- Dr. Adarsh Sen Anand (former Chief Justice of Supreme Court)
- NSS- NSS of the college conducts activities like maintenance of the College Parks, lectures on Moral Education/moral values, commitments towards right path, honesty rules and regulations, collection of funds for the poor orphans and physically handicapped/ mentally retarded, Visits to various places like Yateem Trust, hospitals, Blind homes etc.
- NCC- NCC has 2 wings with 40 cadets. Many of the cadets from the college participate in the Independence & Republic Day parades held at the famous Bakhshi Stadium every year
- Sports- Department of Physical Education organizes outdoor and indoor games. The College has a number of playgrounds for sports and games such as Cricket, Hockey, Foot ball, volley ball, Badminton etc
- Adventure Sports- The college also provides students the facilities of Adventure sports in the following forms: Hiking, Trekking, Rock Climbing, Snow Skiing, Water Sports etc
- Tour- Department of Physical Education besides organizing various sport events also organizes various educational tours/ camps to various places of interest in and outside the state
- The college has a spacious and well equipped library with:
- Seating Capacity of 200 students
- Collection of 40,000 Books
- Electronic Resource Management package for e-journals
- Assistance in searching Databases
The college has 150 computers. The computer Systems installed in the college includes big brand names like HP, DELL, Lenovo, HCL, WIPRO and Compaq. I3, i5, 540 processors, 320 GB HDD, DVD Writer, 18.5â€– LCD, 2 GB RAM, other configuration are PIII and P IV Dual Core Processors, C2D Processors 2.93/ 3 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, ATX, Cabinet 18.5â€– LCD
The college has Boys Hostel with 25 Rooms which can accommodate about 100 students. Hostel facilitates a Mess room & a recreational room with T.V. and Sports.
The college has 2 welfare schemes for students:
Financial Aid is given by Financial Aid Committee to:
- Orphan students with no earnings & children from broken families with no economic support to continue their studies
- Handicapped/ Physically challenged students or those suffering from chronic diseases and to student having handicapped father without sufficient income to maintain his family
- Students with monthly family income of Rs.2000/- per month or less
- Students with monthly family income ranging between Rs.2000/- and Rs.3000/- per month
Social Welfare Funds/ Bad Pocket/ Frontier
Social Welfare Funds includes fee concessions or other concession to the deserving students
College Infrastructure and Facility