Nirma University, popularly known simply as NU (NU), is an autonomous university located in Ahmadabad, Gujarat, India. It functions under the aegis of Nirma Education and Research Foundation (NERF)
- The Institute started in rented premises in 1995 with 5 UG programmes affiliated to Gujarat University.
- Nirma Institute of Technology is constituent of Nirma University.
- In 1996 the Institute started functioning in new campus & later in April 2003, Nirma University was established.
- It is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under Section 2 (f) of the UGC Act and has also been accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- Dr Karsanbhai K. Patel, the industrialist and founder Chairman of the Nirma group, is a legendary business personality who inspires aspirant entrepreneurs all over the country.
- Dr Karsanbhai Patel crystallized his long precious dream of providing outstanding facilities for professional education in the state-run of Gujarat through the establishment of the NERF in 1994.
- The NERF established Nirma Institute of Technology in 1995, Nirma Institute of Diploma Studies in 1997 and Nirma Institute of Management in 1996.
- Subsequently the University established 3 more institutes, the Institute of Pharmacy in 2003, the Institute of Science in 2004 and the Institute of Law in 2007.
- All the Nirma University institutes are providing value based quality professional education and are widely respected for their contribution to the society.
- The NERF chaired by Dr Karsanbhai Patel is a trust which is constituted by eminent academicians and prominent.
- Vision of shaping a better future for manhood by developing effective and communally responsible organizations and individuals.
- Pranav Mistry, an Indian computer scientist and Samsung's Director of Research
- Chemical engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer & science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mathematics & Humanities
Following Student Societies are functioning
- MESA - Mechanical Engineering Students Association
- CONTEMSA - Construction Technology & Management Students Association
- CHESA - Chemical Engineering Students Association
- EESA - Electrical Engineering Students Association
- ASHRAE - American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air Conditioning
- ISA - International Society for Measurement & Control
- IEEE - International Society of Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- ECO - Electronics & Communication Students Association
- Industrial training tech exhibitions / seminars Debate Contests & Essay Competitions Group Discussion.
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
- Industry Institute Interaction Cell
- Student Stores
- Alumni Association
Nirma University envision the Information Technology not only as perilous infrastructure needed for supporting academic needs but also as a central component of the teaching learning process. Various ICT tools are used across the University with the sustenance of the following computing facilities:
- More than 20 Servers & 1400+ systems.
- LAN connectivity via Fiber optic cables and Wi-Fi facilities.
- Software and developing platforms.
- A fleet of 35 buses to and fro for transporting students & staff from different locations in Ahmadabad and Gandhinagar.
INSTITUTE INDUSTRY INTERACTION & PLACEMENT CELL
- The Institute Industry Interaction and Placement Cell emphasizes on inculcation of leadership qualities, corporate behavior, team spirit and works on overall personality development of the students.
- The cell also facilitates the students to put on industry environment during coursework and develop job skills.
- The library resource center is fully automated.
- Latest information technologies like Multimedia Kits, CD, Bar-code Scanners, Text and Graphic Scanners.
- More than 1200 desktop computers through the fiber optic network.
- More than 781 e-journals
- 33,452 books
- 227 print periodicals
- The library is an institutional member of TATA Energy Research Institute [TERI],The British Library Ahmadabad Institute of Engineers (Kolkata), DELNET, Institute for Steel Development and Growth (INSDAG), INDEST Membership, Indian Society for Earthquake Technology (ISET)
Other facilities are:
- Auditorium & Seminar Hall
- Student Store
- Amphi Theaters
The campus quivers with varied activities like symposia, conferences, international conventions, workshops, conclaves, short term industry relevant programmes and student competitions; ISTE approved Continuing Education Programmes etc.
- Information Technology Expo
- All India Library Conference of Indian Library Association
- National Doordarshan ROBOCON
- Indian Science Congress
- National Conference on Current Trends in Technology
- The Institute of Technology was ranked 34 in the Outlook India Best Engineering colleges 2012.
- In private institutes it was ranked 27 in the Mint Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges.
- Ranked 19th in the limited CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011.
- SGSITS National Award for Best Research by Young Teachers of Engineering Colleges for the year 2009 by ISTE.
- National Award for Engineering College for Best Overall Performance in the year 2002 by Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE).
- Ranked in first Top 25 Engineering Colleges across the country in India Today in 2007, 2009 and 2010.
- Company OMRON from Singapore has constituted an award of Rs.15000/- annually for 3 consecutive years starting from year 2004 for the meritorious student of final year from Electronics & communications, Instrumentation & control, & Electrical UG engineering courses
Nirma University offers financial assistance by way of interest on loan as per following details to the needy students on the basis of the merit.
- Interest free loan scholarships.
- Assistance of 50% interest subsidy on the loan obtained from schedule bank limited to the amount of tuition fee to 5% students of the consumption.