Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata is one of the best colleges for women situated opposite to the Park Circus Maidan.
• In July 1939, Lady Brabourne College, LBC was established by the Government of Bengal.
• The name of the College is based on the name of the wife of Lord Brabourne who was the Governor of Bengal till February 1939.
• The College was started with 35 Muslim students and 9 faculty members in a rented house in circus Park and it is affiliated with the Calcutta University.
• The foundation of the College building was laid by Sir J. Woodhead on 26th August, 1939.
• Within very less period of time, College has gained too much of popularity because of its excellent academic record and celebrated it’s Diamond Jubilee on the 26th August, 1999.
• In February2006, the college has been accredited by the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) and has been reputedly awarded an ‘A Level’ certification.
• Faculty of the College are highly educated and delivering knowledge in the most effective manner that’s the reason students are paying interest and giving best results in the University examinations.
• Faulty of the College is very friendly and good in maintaining the teacher – student relationship so that students feel comfortable in asking their problems with their respective teachers.
• Workshops and the Seminars are the best part of the departmental activities.
• Most of the teachers are involved in their research work at the doctoral or the post-doctoral levels hence perusing their own education simultaneously that is very good for the students to be updated.
• Undergraduate courses
• The college consists of 20 departments in several disciplines in the science and the arts streams which offer both general and honour courses.
• Except the Computer Science department offers only general course and Geography and Microbiology offer honours courses.
• Various Science Courses
• Arts Courses
• Post Graduate courses
• M.Sc course in Geography was introduced in November 2003 and got affiliation from the Calcutta University.
• Total strength is 27 per batch
• The department offers the special papers on Regional Planning and Population Geography and Welfare study in second year.
• A well equipped GIS laboratory is available to the students.
• The Department is well equipped with surveying, water and soil testing and mapping instruments.
• Post Graduate Course in English
• Self financing Course:
• Since 1996, Self financing course introduced that includes a Computer Diploma Course in collaboration with WEBEL informatics that is for the benefit of the students.
• A Spanish Language training programme was began in November 2007 in collaboration with WTCC School of Trade and Communication, Kolkata.
• This course is sponsored by the University Grants Commission.
• Remedial Course for S.C./S.T. and Minority Communities:
• Since 2008, UGC sponsored remedial courses for the S.C/ S.T students in college.
• Research Activities and Ph D programs
Students of the College are exposing their talent in both curricular as well as co-curricular activities throughout their academic sessions. Various seminars are organized at both national and international level with the collaboration with various reputed institutes and are funded by the UGC, Govt. of West Bengal.
Seminars and Workshops:
• On 8th September, 2010, in association with Alumni Association, LBC, women’s Studies Centre of Lady Brabourne College organized a program on SAVE THE GIRL CHILD. It was sponsored by the State Family welfare Bureau, Government of West Bengal.
• In association with Alumni Association, LBC women’s studies Centre of Lady Brabourne College celebrated the 150th Birth Centenary of Kaviguru Rabindranath Tagore by organizing a seminar on Rabindra Sahitye Nari Mukti.
• On 29-30th November, 2010, BANANA & BAMBOO: DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT OF AT RISK COMMERCIALLY VALUABLE CROPS THROUGH COMMUNITY TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION, two day seminar was organized by the department of Microbiology. It was organized t celebrate the International Year of Biodiversity in Kolkata.
• A workshop was organized by the Library staff of the College, theme of the workshop was Capacity Building of Woman Managers in Higher Education. It was held between 15-19th January, 2011.
• Department of Botany and Department of Zoology organized a Seminar on BIORESOURCE AND HUMAN WELFARE that was the National Level Seminar sponsored by UGC.
• On 4th February, 2011 department of History organized a Seminar in collaboration with the Department of History, Maulana Azad College & the Paschim Banga Itihas Samsad. The title of the Seminar was HISTORY THROUGH REMINISCENCES: DIARIES, MEMOIRS & ORAL HISTORY and was sponsored by UGC.
• Annual Sports Day:
Sports Day is organized at Inter College departments so that each and every student, teaching or non-teaching staff can participate on this occasion and enjoy the day. The special and the eye catching event is ‘tug of war’ that is between by the teachers and the students.
• Union Of students:
• Another most interesting event is the Students’ Elections that is students select their representatives.
• Cultural Activities:
At the time of annual College Fest, large number of students participates and the literary Club, drama club, student’s welfare Club organize a wide spectrum of cultural activities. Western and the Oriental dance performance are the special attraction,
• Every year College publishes its magazines that contain the write-ups, verses, stories, articles, etc. that are contributed both by the students as well as teachers.
• Extension Activities:
• NSS (National Social Services)
Large number of Lady Brabourne college students participates in various activities that aims for the social awareness like pollution, use of plastics, drug abuse, female trafficking, etc. They attend the workshops and have won so many prizes in debate, etc.
• Night School :
As a social service hostel boarders at the night time teach the under-privileged children. And most of the students have even qualified the madhyamik and uchcha madhyamik examinations.
• Along with providing the computer facilities to the students, college is really helping their students by providing them the facility of Computer Diploma Course. They are running it with the collaboration with Webel Informatics Ltd. (A Govt. of West Bengal undertaking)
• Normal Course fee is Rs 750/- per annum
• Campus is totally in Wi-Fi range.
All the books that are available in the Library are of the latest editions. So that students do not face any problem and can get the latest and the updated information.
• Approximately 1,00,000 books are available besides magazines and journals.
• Library is located on the first floor with the reading room facility for the students and the teachers.
• State Govt. has provided funds for the modernization of the college Library.
• Students can even use the internet on the Library for the searching and the browsing options.
• Hostel is situated near to the College.
• College Mess is maintained on the good and the hygienic standards.
• Ragging is strictly prohibited in the College as well as in the Hostel.
• Earlier, Total seats that were allowed were 207 but now it has increased and now it is around 315.
• Library and Gym facility is provided in the Hostel.
• Canteen is maintained and is constructed keeping in mind the hygienic standard.
• One more canteen is constructed on the second campus of the college i.e. in the PG building so that hostel students can buy evening snacks for them.
Career counseling & Placement
• Since 2002, the career counseling and the Job placement committee of the College has been organizing various job placements and the career development programmes.
• In 2006-2007 session major IT/BPO organizations like TCS, IBM, Cognizant(CTS), Tech Mahindra, WIPRO, etc. conducted campus recruitment programmes for the last year students and most of the students were selected.