The Maulana Azad Medical College was well established in 1956 & is the premier medical institute in India. Presently it is controlled by central Government & Delhi Government. It is affiliated to Delhi University & Consistently ranked 5th among top medical colleges of India. It is named after the first education minister Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad.
- The stretched campus includes its major associated hospitals named Lok Nayak Hospital, the Guru Nanak Eye Centre & the GB Pant Hospital & the college
- The primary objective of college is to create competent & excellent specialists, doctors & super specialists
- It has extended its medical care facilities for the local civilians through health care programs
- The college offers undergraduate, Graduate & post graduate degrees of MS, MD including nursing& other programs
- Presently the students, who want to take admission in MAMC, have to go through competitive exam (NEET-UG)
- From 2013 onwards (new policies of college), the total of 250 seats will be provided to the students every year.
- Dr. Himanshu Tyagi, Psychiatrist and noted Internet psychology researcher in UK. In July 2008, he was attributed to as a leading psychiatrist in UK by BBC.
- Dr. I. D. Bajaj is the First reader of anatomy department. He later rose to the position of Director General of Health Services.
- Dr. Charu Taneja. She is a Surgical Oncologist and Director of the Breast Health Program at Roger Williams Medical Center at Boston University & She graduated from Maulana Azad Medical College in 1989.
- Dr. Tajinder Singh (Pediatric, Cardiologist and Assistant Professor in Harvard Medical School).
Academic Overview: As it is ranked 5th among top best colleges in India, it focuses on creating well qualified & brilliant medical specialists who can serve to nation. The medical institute offers the Degree of MBBS, post graduate degrees of MS; MD & specialty fellowship degrees of MCH & DM. Attached hospitals provide training facility to the interns.
It is the Centre of Excellence for various departments like-
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Anesthesia
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Radio Diagnosis
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Surgery
Extracurricular: MAMC organizes various extracurricular activities throughout the year. Some of them are-
Certificate Course in Yoga: As it is the medical college, it lays more emphasis on providing best health programs to the students. So, the college organizes Yoga classes as a part of practical training for certificate course.
MAMCOS: Maulana Azad Medical College Old Students’ Association was formed in the year 1971. Every year a grand get-to-gather is organized. Maulanian Silver Jubilee Trust organizes scientific programs and career guidance sessions.
Facilities: The college provides following facilities-
Hostel: Separate hostels & wardens are allotted to the boys & girls with all canteen, mess & sports facilities.
Library: The college has impressive air conditioned library with a large collection of books, journals, literatures. It has provided spacious rooms for reading till late hours. It has 55 computers which have internet connectivity. Library comprises of
- 32907 books
- 33663 back volume journals
- 170 international journals
- 650 CD’s of books & journals
- 30000 thesis of research work
Festivals/Events: The college takes full initiative to organize events like sports day, annual day & lot more cultural events every year.
- College Annual Day: The college celebrates Annual day function every year. It provides Degrees to the successful graduates on this particular day along with cultural events. The highlights & achievements of the institution are also discussed on this day.
- It has been ranked 5thamong top medical colleges in India by India Today in 2013.
- Outlook India has been ranked it 5th in 2012.
- It is the second toughest medical institute in India to take admission.
College Infrastructure and Facility