Asansol Girls' College was founded in 1950 in the region of coalfield where there was no higher education centre only for women. The college was upgraded to a Degree College very soon in 1957-58. West Bengal Government recognised it as a Government Sponsored College in 1956 due to its reputation as an academic centre. The college started its academic activities from the premises of the Manimala Girls' High School and in 1962 the college was shifted to the present building. To meet the everlasting demand of higher education of the girl students of this industrial belt a Morning Section with B.A. and B.Com. Courses was opened. This college has already celebrated its Golden Jubilee in the year 2000.
The college authority is very much conscious about the present demand of the society and industry so it has introduced many other courses such as :
- Honours Courses in the subjects of Computer Science, Microbiology, Nutrition and Sociology
- Self-financing Course in BCA
- Carried-Oriented Courses in Communicative and Functional English, Travel and Tourism Management, Community Development and Information and Computer Science Technology. All these courses have earned reputation.
Ever since its inception the college has earnestly endevoured to achieve its goal with sustained efforts through decades and it is reflected in our academic results.The National Assessment and Accreditation Council has accredited Asansol Girls' College with an award of grade B+.
The library of the college is fully computerized and has a rich collection of books with presently about 30,946 copies of books, 9 journals and 6 periodicals. Moreover, some rare collection of books in Mining and Instrumentation are also available. It is one of the important resource center of the Institute, serving both students as well as the faculties.
Scholarships and Awards :
- Smt. Kamala Sen (Founder President) memorial prize from interest of a fixed of Rs. 2000/- donated by the then Asansol Mahila Samity is awarded to one meritorious student.
- Late P.K. Ghosh Memorial Award from the interest of a fixed deposit of Rs. 10000/- donated by his relatives, for securing highest marks in Philosophy Hons. in the final examination.
- Late A.K. Chatterjee Memorial Award from the interest of a fixed deposit of sum Rs. 10000/- donated by his relatives to the student securing highest marks in Accountancy Hons. in the final examination.
- Kumkum Sengupta Smriti Puroskar from the Annual interest of a fixed deposit of Rs. 6000/- denoted by her husband Sri Prasanta Kr. Sengupta to the student, securing highest marks in Geography Hons. Part I examination.
- Jitendranath Barman Memorial Prize is awarded to a student securing highest marks in Chemistry Honours of the B.Sc. Final Examination.
- Madhumala Memorial Prize is awarded to a student securing highest marks in the Degree Honours Final Examination.
- S. Basu Mallik Prize is awarded to a student securing highest marks in the B.A. General Final examination.
- Indu Bhusan Memorial Prize is awarded to a Group D employee selected on the basis of his / her General Proficiencies in the year.
College Infrastructure and Facility