The National Institute of Technology, Puducherry (NITPY) is one of the 30 NITs, the institutes of National Importance. It is among the ten newly established NITs, sanctioned by Government of India in 2009. NIT Puducherry is functioning from academic session 2010-11. It currently operates from a temporary campus at Arignar Anna Govt. Arts and Science College, Nehru nagar, Karaikal. 256 acres land for the construction of the new campus had already been procured near village Poovam from the government of Puducherry in Karaikal.
- NITPY currently offers undergraduate courses in five disciplines, Masters’ degree in one discipline and doctoral program from the session 2014-15.
- Admissions to the undergraduate courses are done through marks obtained in Joint Entrance Examination (JEE). 50% seats from the total available seats are reserved for the candidates having residence of Puducherry (includes Mahe, Yanam, Andaman & Nicobar Islands) and remaining 50% are filled on the basis of all India quota basis.
- Despite being new in the league of NITs, it was visited by some prestigious companies like IBM, Amazon, L&T, Samsung, Polaris etc. for the placement of 2010-14 batch.
Academic Overview: NIT offers engineering courses under following departments-
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Science & Humanities
Extracurricular: NITPY has an innovation club setup at the campus, which provides facilities to organize various extracurricular activities.
- Innovation Club: It is an interdisciplinary club which focuses on collecting innovative and creative ideas from students and transforming them into worthwhile projects.
Facilities: NITPY is functioning from temporary campus but it provides students all the requisite facilities for learning. Some of these facilities are described below-
- Grievance Cell: There is a grievance cell that functions round the clock to interact, counsel and resolve the problems faced by the students.
- Medical Facilities: NITPY has signed a MOU with Vinayaka Mission Medical College and Hospital, Karikal for providing medical facilities to the students.
- Hostel: At present the hostel blocks for both boys and girls are under construction inside the new permanent campus.
Events: There are some departmental TechFests organized by the students of that respective department-
- Knosys: It is a series of events conducted by students of Computer Science and Engineering department. It comprises events like- MAD (Mobile App Development), Relay Coding, Gaming etc.
- Spreee: It is the techfest of Electrical and Electronics Engineering department.
- Tarangg: This techfest is organized by Electronics and Communication Engineering department.
College Infrastructure and Facility