The Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Mumbai, usually known as IHM Mumbai. It was originated in the year 1954 by the All India Women’s Central Food Council under the leadership of Late Smt. Lilavati Munshi.
- In 1958 the 3 Year Diploma Programme in Hotel Management & Catering Technology was started.
- In 1979 the Central Government took over the total financial responsibility of the Institute.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Mumbai is the parent Institute for most of other institutes which provides hospitality education in India.
Being such an old Institution IHM, Mumbai has produced a number of alumni over the years who have spread and established themselves all over the world. Some of them are:
- Akash Arora who is in Hyatt.
- Aarti Malvankar who is in JW Marriott Hotel
- Abhijeet Shembekar who is at Le Meridien ( London Gatwick)
- Abhijeet Roy who is in Taj Palace Hotel
The institute offers the following courses:
- 3 years BSc Degree in Hospitality and Hotel Administration (National Council and IGNOU) for NRI Students
- BSc Degree in Hospitality and Hotel Administration (NCHMCT and IGNOU)
- Craftsmanship Course in Food Production & Patisserie (National Council)
- Craftsmanship course in Food & Beverage Service (National Council)
- 12 week Craftsmanship course in Bartending, Cookery, Bakery
- Hunar Se Rozgar – Hospitality Training Program in Food Production, Food & Beverage Service, Bakery and Housekeeping utility
The students take active part in various extracurricular activities. They also celebrate the local festivals like Ganapati and Onam with great zeal and enthusiasm. Some of the activities that are conducted in the college and in which the students actively participate in are:
- Kulture Kurry
- Various workshops
- Blood donation camp
The institute has well maintained infrastructure. Some of them are:
- Separate kitchen facilities available for diverse year students.
- The college provides separate room facilities for girls and boys.
- The institute has fully functional new computer lab with 50 computers with Internet and Intranet facilities
- A well-equipped library with the widest collection of books.
Melange: Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Mumbai conducts various festivals, Melange is one such festival conducted in this institute.
According to Outlook-MDRA Institute of Hotel Management, Mumbai is ranked number 1 in the category of Hotel Management Colleges all over the country.
An overview of the fee is as follows:
For BSc Degree in Hospitality and Hotel Administration:
- Students in 2nd semester of First Year have to pay a fee of 37,750 (INR)
- Students in 2nd year have to pay the annual fee of 69,750 (INR)
- Students in 3rd year have to pay the annual fee of 78,300 (INR)
The above mentioned fee includes tuition fee, IGNOU fee, examination fee and miscellaneous fee.
- The NRI students for BSc Degree in Hospitality and Hotel Administration have to pay 4500 (USD) which does not include hostel facility.
The fee in other courses are:
- For the certification courses students have to give 30,000 (INR)
- For Craftsmanship Course in Food Production & Patisserie students have to give 45,000 (INR) (approximately)
- For Craftsmanship course in Food & Beverage Service students have to give 20,000 (INR) (approximately)
The students are awarded various scholarships on the basis of merit. Some of them are:
- Dr. N Shantadevi endowment Scholarship of 5000 (INR) & Mr. N.G. Jog Endowment Scholarship (1991) of 500 (INR)
- Chandrashekar Nayyar Endowement Scholarship Of 500 (INR)
- The Nalini Paralkar scholarship of 1000 (INR)
- Shomika Shashidar Endowment Scholarship of 1000 (INR)
- The B.G. Vijaya Deshmukh Endowment Scholarship of 4000 (INR)
- The Maneckshaw Endowment Scholarship of 1000 (INR)
- P&O Cruises Scholarship of 3000 (INR)
- Smt. Indira Gandhi Endowment Scholarship
College Infrastructure and Facility