Gujrat University (GU), was established on 23rd November 1949. It’s Head Quarter is in Ahmedabad. Gujarat University is a state university situated at Ahmedabad, Gujarat state, India. It is an affiliating university at the under-graduate level and a teaching one at the postgraduate level. It is accredited B++ by NAAC.
This University was set up under the Gujarat University Act of the State Government. Visionary leaders like Gandhiji, Sardar Patel, Acharya Anandshankar B. Dhruva, Dada Saheb Mavlankar, KasturbhaiLalbhai and many others were behind the incorporation of the institution.
- The university is now one of the largest universities across the nation by providing quality higher education to over two lakh students every year.
- Oldest and biggest university of the State
- The University sprawling campus is spread in the area of 260 acres land.
- The total number of Affiliated college are 250 according to 2005-06 report.
- The total number of Recognised Institutions are 15 according to 2004-05 report.
- The total number of Approved Institutions are 24 according to 2005-06 report.
- 260 acres land-estate of the University
- Most preferred university among students for professional courses
Schools and Departments:
- School of Commerce
- School of Languages
- School of Law
- School of Education
- School of Science
- School of Social Sciences
- B K School of Business Management
- K S School of Business Management
- Center for Development Communication
- H K Center for Professional Training
Department of Youth Welfare: The Gujarat University was established in 1950 and the Department of youth Welfare was introduced the same year with an objective to give sound platform to the coming talents of the young students of the University.The university has a separate department for the youth. The Department of Youth Welfare works on organizing cultural programs and to develop the personality of the students.
- Classical Vocal Solo
- Classical Instrumental Solo
- Light Vocal (Indian & Western)
- Group Song (Indian & Western)
- Folk/Tribal Dance
- Classical Dance (Indian)
- Poetry Recitation
- One Act Play
- On the Spot Painting
- Poster Making
- Clay Modelling
INFLIBNET: The library of the university is subscribed to Information and Library Network Center. University Grants Commission (UGC) of India has initiated the National Programme in the year of 1991. Its Head Quarters is at Gujarat University Campus, Ahmedabad. This is an autonomous body of UGC. The basic objective of this center is to provide infrastructure facility for the sharing of library and information. This has to be done among the universities and other Academic and Research Institutions.
EMRC: The university is also associated with Educational Multimedia Research Center (EMRC), Ahmedabad. University Grants Commission (UGC) has initiated this multimedia center for the development of educational software in India.
University Employment Information and Guidance Bureau: The Director of Employment and training has set up the University Employment Information and Guidance Bureau at Gandhinagar in the year of 1964. It provides guidance on vocational training to students.
- Library: The library of the university has above 3, 35,000 books and every year around 5000 books are added to the library. The library is subscribed to above three hundred periodicals in number of topics. Besides, the university has provided small libraries attached to all the schools and department of the institute. The students can get their textbooks and reference books here very easily. All these books are issued from the central library of the university. The university central library has its centers in Ahmedabad city, Hajipur, Saraspur and Khokhra-Mehemdabad.
- Reading Center: The university has a Reading Center of its own where students can come and read the books the wants. Honourable Chief Minister Late Shri Babubhai J. Patel has inaugurated the center in the year of 1977. This center is connected with the central library of the university. The center has a capacity of reading facility for 400 students. The university has two other reading centers. They are Shri Vimalbhai Shah Reading Center, Saraspur and KhokharaMehmedabad Reading Center.
- Health Center: The university has a well equipped Health-center and it was set up in the year 1962. The health center is situated on the University Campus to provide health care facilities to the students.
- Sports Complex: The university has its own sports complex inside the campus and it has all kind of sporting facilities like Tennis, Cricket, Football, Hockey, Gymnastics etc.
- Internet Access Center: The university has an Internet Access Center which offers high speed broadband connection to the students, staffs and the researchers.
College Infrastructure and Facility