The Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta was founded on January 1909 and named as University College of Law. The faculty was granted as the Department of Law, University of Calcutta on February 1983. It has 6 affiliated Law Colleges offering 5 Year Bachelor of Law Course.
- Admission to 5 Year Bachelor of Law is based on Entrance Exam conducted by the University of Calcutta.
- Candidate must secured 45% (For General) and 40% (For ST/SC) in higher secondary or equivalent examination.
- Every year entrance test held in the month of May.
- In take capacity for B.A. LL.B is 120.
- In addition to LL.B Course, the faculty also offers 2 Years LL. M. Course and Ph. D. Programme.
- The faculty is also research center for various subjects such as Human Rights, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, International Law, Company Law, Civil Laws and Intellectual Property Law.
- A few names of the prominent faculty members are Prof. (Dr.) S. S. Chatterji, Prof. (Dr.) I. G. Ahmed, Dr. Shachi Chakrabarty and Dr. Ashis Mallick.
- There are also many guest lecturers for the betterment of law students in addition to the academic faculty members.
The Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta has 6 affiliated colleges namely –
- Surendra Nath Law College
- Jogesh Chandra Chaudhury Law College
- South Calcutta Law College
- Bikash Bharati Law College
- Rabindra Shiksha Sammilani Law College
- Jyotirmoy School of Law
All the colleges offered B.A LL.B and LL.M Courses.
To add more value to the education system of law students, the faculty of law also provides many extracurricular activities namely –
- Seminars, Workshops and Conferences
- Games and Sports
- Cultural events
The Hazra Law Campus Library, University of Calcutta is spread over an area of 12386 sq. ft. The library has rare collection of 18th Century books. It features –
- 39079 Books
- 10 Titles of Current Journals
- Around 30000 Bound Journals
Services available in the library are –
- High-Speed Internet Connectivity
- Reference cum Reading Room
- Photocopy Machine
- Acquisition and Technical
A few names of the selected current journals available are –
- All India Reporter
- Indian Human Rights and Review
- Calcutta Law times
- Manupatra Intellectual Property Reporter
- Criminal Law Journal
The university has 17 buildings (both halls & hostels) providing accommodation more than 2000 students.
For Undergraduate students –
- 1 Hall for Men
- 2 Halls for Women
For Postgraduate students –
- 7 Halls for Men
- 7 Halls for Women
- Ranked 23rd in Top 25 Law Colleges 2013
- Ranked 20th in India’s Best Law Colleges by the India Today 2012