The West Bengal University of Technology is also referred as the WBUT. West Bengal University of Technology is a public state university located in the City of Salt Lake of Kolkata, in the state of West Bengal, India.
- The university was established in the year of 2000
- West Bengal University of Technology is recognized under section 2F and section 12B of University Grants Commission-UGC Act
- In the Initial stages, WBUT got financial supportand others help from the Government of West Bengal
- In the year of 2000 on 5th August, The WBU Tech or West Bengal University of Technology became an entity
- The university started functioning on 15th of January in the year 2001 under the WB Act XV of 2000 approved by the WB legislature
- IIIT-C or Indian Institute of Information Technology in Calcutta was the university’s first department. It offered the degree of B.E. in IT
- The CSE and IT departments of the WBUT are the best for the streams in West Bengal. These courses are self-financed
- The university has more than 37 teaching faculty members, they are experienced person and their teaching techniques are good
- The West Bengal University of Technology has its connection and link with national and international research institutes, university and the industry
- The WBUT has 209 colleges and offers more than 135 courses to pupils. The university affiliates 160 institutions across 15 districts of West Bengal
- The capacity of university postgraduate level is approximately 3000 students
- The university also offers distance education programs for the students
- The West Bengal University of Technology campus is sprawled out over an area of 45000 square feet and it is an excellent State-of the-art infrastructure
The schools at West Bengal University of Technology are given below-
- School of Applied Sciences
- School of Engineering and Technology
- School of Management
- School of Advance Interdisciplinary Study and Research
The best colleges affiliated to the university are:
- Institute of Engineering and Management
- Heritage Institute of Technology
- Haldia Institute of Technology etc.
- EKTA Incubation Centre
- N N Dasgupta Electron Microscopy Centre
- Centre for Genetic Studies
- Children's Day-Care Centre
- Women Study Centre
The university library is well furnished and stocked. The library has more e- resources than the printed resources. The library is fully computerised and digital.
- West Bengal university of Technology library has a collection of 25965 books out of which 13785 are e-books
- University library consistsof 8915 journals, which involve 52 printed journals, including 11 foreign printed journals
- The library also holds a collection of about 550 CDs, audio cassettes and DVD
- It has a separate reading room and a photocopy or Xerox facility for students, faculty and staff members of the university
WBUT is the one the top and best technology university in India and its ranking is in top 25 universities and colleges of India.
- In the year of 2012, the West Bengal university of technology was ranked 22nd by Dataquest’s annual rankings of best Technical Universities and Colleges in India.