The University of Hyderabad (UoH), was founded in 1974 with Prof. Gurbaksh Singh as its first Vice Chancellor, UoH - otherwise called Hyderabad Central University or HCU- has risen as a heading focus of showing and examination.
- This public and largely residential university spread in about 2000 acres in the locality of Gachibowli on the outskirts of the city.
- The expansive campus placed close Gachibowli, which is the IT center of Hyderabad, has massive bio-assorted qualities and is home to over 75 mixtures of flying creature, not to discuss the lakes and rock establishments which give the campus a regular excellence.
- With 46 separate Departments and Centers composed in 12 Schools of study, the University has over 400 faculties and over 5000 students.
- These incorporate the Applied Sciences, Basic Sciences, Medical Science, the Social Sciences, Engineering Science, and the Fine Arts, and Communication, notwithstanding later deliberations in territories, for example, Health Psychology, Women's Studies, Dalit Studies, and Cognitive Sciences.
- The University is a public research university with high research activity in every department and awards about 300 doctorates every year.
The University has twelve schools of Study including followings-
- School of Mathematics and Statistics,
- Sarojini Naidu School of Arts & Communication,
- School of Physics
- School of Chemistry
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Humanities
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Management Studies
- School of Engineering Sciences & Technology
- School of Medical Sciences
- School of Economics and Computer / Information Sciences
- School of Engineering Sciences and Technology
Standalone Centres offering Academic Programmes-
- Centre for Integrated Studies (CIS)
- University Centre for Earth and Space Sciences (UCESS)
- Advanced Centre of Research in High Energy Materials (ACRHEM)
- Centre for Health Psychology
- Centre for Neural and Cognitive Sciences
- Centre for Women’s Studies
- Centre for Buddhist Studies
- Centre for Modelling Simulation and Design (CMSD)
International Collaboration: Some of the national & international institutions/companies with whom MoUs have been signed are as follows-
- University of Alberta, Edmonton Canada
- Miami University, USA
- Ms Pharma Cambridge
- University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Deakin University, Australia
- Truth Labs, Hyderabad
- University of Warsaw, Poland
- Anna University
- ACRHEM, DRDO
- Winzest Edutech Private Ltd.
- National Institute of Rural Development, Hyderabad
Cut offs for Admission:
Cut off marks
M.Phill & M.Tech
Integrated M.Tech/Ph.D and M.Sc./Ph.D.
The University considers its enormous alumni base - 30,000+ exceptional people who have passed out of these portals over the past nearly 4 decades to be one of the assets that it is most proud of.The University has launched a brand new alumni community, which enables every students to get to know and interact with all other 30,000+ ex-students.
Notable Alumni & Alumnae:
- Shanta Sinha, Ramon Magsaysay award winner
- Rajan Harshe, Vice Chancellor Emeritus, University of Allahabad
- M Sridhar Babu, Former minister, Govt of AP
- Girish Agarwal, FRS
- Goverdhan Mehta, FRS
- Vijaya Rao, IPS, MA (Anthropology) Class of 2007
- Nari's Knight Cup: The first of such event is the Nari's Cricket Knight Cup. The tournament is named in memory of an Ex-student Mr.Narayan Reddy (Nari) who met with an unfortunate death in the campus premises.
- Senthil Balraj Cricket Night Cup: The Senthil Balraj Cricket Night cup was initiated in February, 2011 by the then Students Union in memory of Senthil and Balraj.
- Football Night Cup: The Football Night cup is the third in the series of Night cups conducted by the Student's Union. The tournament is usually conducted in the last week of February every year.
- Basketball and Volleyball Night cup: The Union also conducts Basketball and Volleyball night cups every year in the month of March.
Entrepreneurship Development Cell:
The university has an ED Cell, located in the Management Block of the university that has nurtured startups. Some of them include
- Laundrette: A coin operated washing machine service
- Inno Garage: A consulting company that was nurtured by School of Management Studies for 2 Years.
Other Extracurricular Activities:
Technology Incubation and Development of Enterprenuership: The Department of Information Technology (DIT), Government of India, offers support for potential entrepreneurs in the areas of Electronics, Information Technology and Communications.
National Service Scheme: In connection with 'Gandhi Jayanti Week' Celebrations National Service Scheme (NSS) Cell, Orientation Programmes, organises Peace March, Tree plantation etc.
Student's Union: Major student organizations on the campus include ASA (Ambedkar Students' Association), DSU (Dalit Students' Union), BSF (Bahujan Students' Front), TSA (Telangana Students' Association), ABVP (Akhila Bharathiya Vidyarthi Parishad), NSUI (National Students' Union of India), SFI (Students' Federation of India).
Indira Gandhi Memorial Library:The library has a rich collection of 4.00 lakhs that include text books, monographs, back volumes of journals, theses / dissertations, CDs/DVDs. The library is subscribing around 500 print journals in various disciplines of the university and providing access to more than 25000 e-resources including e-books.
- Total area of the library (in Sq. Mts.) 57000 Sft.
- Total seating capacity 400
Rock Show: Sukoon is the annual cultural festival organised by the Students Union during the month of March. The 3-day event includes various literary and other recreational events like 'Mr. & Ms.Sukoon Competition', Shayari, Rangoli, Quiz, Debate in English-Telugu-Hindi-Urdu, Antaakshari, Dance, Singing, Spot Painting, Treasure Hunt etc.
Rankings & Awards:
- The University ranks amongst the top ten Universities in the country.
- It has been re-accredited with an A Grade (CGPA of 3.72/4.00) by NAAC in 2014 which is the third cycle.
- India Today placed UoH at the fifth position in its rankings of Universities for 2014. UoH also features in the QS rankings of top 200 Asian Universities.
- Declared by UGC as University with Potential for Excellence
- Rated as High Output–High Impact by NISSAT
- Awarded top grade of A ***** by NAAC: The apex Council of NAAC awarded the top grade of A ***** to the University (on a five-point scale A* to A*****).
- Rated as High Output–High Impact by NISSAT: Rated by the NISSAT (National Information System for Science and Technology) of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Government of India, as the only University under the ‘High Output – High Impact’ category among the top 50 institutions in India with publications in citation - index journals.
- DST support for augmenting research facilities: The Department of Science and Technology (DST) of the Government of India sanctioned over Rupees four crores under FIST (Fund for Improvement of Science and Technology) to the four Science Schools of the University to augment research facilities.
- A Member of AIU and ACU: The University is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU); and the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
- M.Tech. (GATE scorers) will be paid scholarship of Rs. 8,000/-. The tenure of the scholarship will be for 2 years (funded by AICTE).
- M.Phil. students will be paid fellowship @ Rs. 3,000/- p.m. for one year only (funded by UGC).
- Ph.D. Scholars will be paid fellowship @ Rs. 5000/- p.m. for a period of 3 years.
- Concessions to Visually Challenged students: Concessions to blind students are provided by the University as per the UGC guidelines from time to time which inter-alia, include exemption from all kinds of fees, payment of Reader’s allowance @ Rs. 1000/ p.m. in respect of PG/ M.Phil/Ph.D. students and Rs. 1500/- for JRF holders for the employment of a Reader.
- Fellowships for research studies UGC Fellowships: UGC JRFs pursuing their research work leading to M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences are paid a fellowship of Rs. 16,000/- p.m. for the first two years and Rs.18,000/- p.m. for the subsequent years.
- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowships sponsored by the Ministry of Social Justice for SC/ST candidates to pursue M.Phil and Ph.D. Degrees: The value of JRF is Rs. 16,000/- p.m. for the first two years and the value of SRF is Rs. 18,000/- p.m. for the subsequent years.